Friday, August 24, 2012

Still got all my digits!


This morning as I was walking from my room up to the house for breakfast it was very overcast and cold with a mist so heavy it felt like rain. I prayed that it wouldn’t rain though because my room seems to have sprung a leak with holes in the ceiling ‘patched’ with clear duct tape (Duct tape fixes everything right?  ;)). Thankfully it did not rain, but what did happen is that that this girl did finish her first full week of teaching! It has been a learning experience for sure with much more learning to come. I feel like I have a better idea of how things work for my three year old class. The day begins at 8:00 with English class and all the fun activities that go along with that, such as teaching a room full of three year olds how to use scissors. Now, with 21 of them, I was skeptical at times that I would make it out with all of my digits still intact. But miracles do happen and I was able to complete the project and still have ten fingers to count with. Then there is Spanish class, Playground or Recess time (this is my second favorite part of the day), then Snack time (yep you guessed it, this is my favorite part of the day and since Peruvians don’t eat lunch until 2:00pm it is a much needed source of energy between breakfast and lunch!), then play time, end of day review and time to go at 11:30. After telling all of my ‘little angels’ (as Mark calls them) goodbye for the day I go and finish up last minute preparations for my 3rd grade English class which goes until 1:30. This class is a bit more tricky because, with the three year olds it’s not like I can damage their academic career (though I have been very surprised by how quickly they pick up on the things we are learning) but with the third graders it is more important that they receive adequate education. They are at that age where they think it is little kidish to sing songs but they all want my attention and approval of each problem they do on their worksheet…all at the same time(that is all 25 of them!). Sometimes I feel like a puppet literally being pulled back and forth across the room with each child wanting their time with me. But it is teaching me patience and time management as I try to spend time with each of them since most of them do not receive this much desired one-on-one time at home. Oh and another thing that I was unaware of before I got here is that I use “y’all” a lot. The first time I used it in class my kids just sat there looking at me blankly and the missionaries are from Canada so I am a loner with the usage of y’all here. Who knows, maybe I can start a y’all fad in Peru….
Though I have adapted quickly to many things, there are still laughable experiences that I must adjust to. Such as the perils of my outside bathroom. Let me tell you, I learn something new about it every day, but I have not figured out how to use it at night without getting attacked by killer crickets and various other unidentified bugs. The other night I was washing my face when some sort of bug stuck to the cleanser still on face. Haha I can only imagine what that scene looked like! And for those of you who have shown concern I seem to have learned my lesson with the shower and so far no more getting shocked.
In preparing to come here I expected to get sick in the first month or so that I was here, however I did not expect to get sick with everything within the first week! I already have my eyes, nose, ears, throat, and stomach covered (thanks to the kids passing their stomach bug and sore throat sickness to me) so I think I am good and covered for sickness for a while! The thing is, I didn’t get sick from the food or water as one would think but from the kids. We have had a lot of them out sick the past two weeks because the weather has been colder. So I guess the prayer is not for immunity to the food and water but to build a defense to the children and all the germs that come along with them and wiping their runny noses all day.
Many people have asked me about the food, well let me tell you that my plan to ‘fatten up’ before coming here is backfiring because I am eating so much good starchy food here that I will continue to ‘fatten up!’ Haha of course the much anticipated rice makes its way into a meal everyday but the Peruvian way of preparing rice is to do so with garlic and let me tell you, you have to try it! Once you have you will never make it plain again, it is so good! But I am also rather culturally confused right now too. The other day in one house I had meatballs with tomato sauce…and rice. Then the next day in the other house I had spaghetti noodles (and rice of course!) with chicken prepared in a spicy red sauce. Then tonight one of the couples took us volunteers out for dinner in the city (Chiclayo) and we had Chinese. Haha it’s a good thing that I am not a picky eater and love all types of food because that is exactly what I am getting to experience here.
            By far my favorite activity to be apart of in casa #1 is after dinner and right before the kids go to bed when all 13 of us gather in the front room to read the Bible. Some of the boys are too young to read but they repeat after Alberto as he reads for them and I read my verse in English. Hearing all their voices reading God’s Word warms my heart each time and is so encouraging and uplifting. Last night as we were all sitting down to read (and of course the boys were again  all trying to sit by me at once…they haven’t figured out yet that I only have two sides!) little Edwin looked up at me and said, “tu ME  amiga” (you’re MY friend). It’s the little moments like this that remind me of why I am here. Or when Claudia told me at breakfast on Wednesday (in English), “I love you.” I am realizing that there is much need here for love and I pray that I am able to give it. As my mom said, I am praying for a bigger heart to be able to love these kids as Christ does. A love that sadly they had not experienced before coming here but Lord willing they will have from now until eternity.
            Prayers this week would be 1) for the kids in the school (and the home) to get better because we have been having FL-like weather, one day it’s hot and sunny, then the next couple days it’s cold and overcast. Everyone is practicing sharing which is good but it would even better if they were sharing something other than their sickness! 2) For me to be able to give the love that these kids need as I am not sure if my heart is big enough to love as much as they need, that I would learn selfless, Christ-like love. Also that I would regain full health once again so that I can serve to a fuller capacity and not be a burden to anyone here.
*Also I just found out that my mom was admitted to the hospital this morning so please pray for her as she is in a lot of pain and I don’t really know any details but I believe there was something said about her having surgery on Monday. So please keep her and my family in your prayers while she is going through this

3 comments:

AskThePhatMan said...

You are missed here, and I believe you'll be just as missed there when you return. Good work! (Oh yeah, good writing also).

Kimberly said...

Hey girl,
I am so thrilled you are writing about your time in Peru. You have a natural talent for it. Your mom is doing well. She's back to running the house as she sees fit! LOL I'll be praying for you this week!
Kimberly

Kimberly said...

Hey girl,
I am so thrilled you are writing about your time in Peru. You have a natural talent for it. Your mom is doing well. She's back to running the house as she sees fit! LOL I'll be praying for you this week!
Kimberly